#LifeInCzechia Are you about to move to Czechia? Your phone will be crucial for you to be able to communicate, work, book a summer vacation, learn a new language, and entertain yourselves. All you need is a sim card and mobile data. However, the system is different in every country. What options do you have after relocating to the Czech Republic? We’ve prepared a clear overview of how it works here and what you can expect.
Buy your prepaid card or phone plan online
Maybe you have a phone number from another EU provider and can use it in Czechia at no additional cost. However, keep in mind that it is mostly free for a certain amount of time or data used. The restrictions or additional fees might apply. It is therefore better to arrange a new sim card here. It comes in handy when opening a bank account or communicating with authorities.
In Czechia, there are three main service providers – T-Mobile, Vodafone, and O2. Apart from phones, you can use them to arrange TV and internet for your home, as well as buy a new phone or smartwatch. They have many stores across the country, so you can find them in almost every bigger town or city. You can choose a phone plan (known as “tariff”) or a prepaid card, whichever suits you best. If you choose a tariff and wish to buy a new phone, you might be able to get a discount.
- T-Mobile – prepaid cards from 150 CZK, tariffs from 480 CZK
- Vodafone – Europe’s largest network powered by 100% renewables
- O2 – a wide range of tariffs and value packages
You can find many smaller operators who offer great deals, but there might be some coverage restrictions based on your location in comparison to the main operators. They usually do not have stores but you can arrange everything online. Just sign up, choose a prepaid card or a tariff you like and your new sim card will arrive by post within a couple of days.
Here are some examples:
- GoMobil – individual tariffs to suit your needs
- Tesco Mobile – prepaid cards that double their value every time you top up your card. Check out their new tariff Simple in cooperation with O2
- Coop Mobil – get a discount of 20% off your prepaid-card calls and messages for shopping at COOP
- SAZKAmobil – Czech Republic’s biggest mobile virtual network operator
- Telestica – combine your tariff and data volume as you need
- O-Mobil.cz – simple offer of 3 tariffs to help you decide
- Kaktus – all your unused data are transferred to the next month
- BLESKmobil – first virtual operator in the Czech Republic with no commitments
Transfer your number to another operator
If you are a freelancer or entrepreneur, look for special tariffs offered by the main operators for the best price. For couples or families, many operators offer special packages with free calls or shared data. Are you using different network providers? No worries! You can easily transfer your number at no additional cost if you don’t have a contract with your current provider.
For more tips, check out our categories of “Living” and “Practical tips”. There, you will find useful information for your time in Czechia. Do you need IT support or assistance? You know where to find us.