#LatestNewsCzechia Are you self-employed? Then you should familiarise yourself with Data Mailboxes, because you will have it set up automatically between 1 January and 31 March 2023. In this article, you’ll learn about what is a Data Mailbox, what are the advantages and benefits of owning one, and who is obligated to use it.
All self-employed people will have their Data Mailbox set up from 1 January 2023.
What’s a Data Mailbox?
The Data Mailbox system is a public administrative system that allows people to send or receive electronic documents from authorities. This means you can use it to communicate with courts, the police, and many other authorities without waiting in line.
Data Mailboxes are free of charge for communication with state authorities. Their purpose is to replace classic letters. When you send a document through it (e.g. Tax Return), it is considered signed by you as if you signed it in real life.
Why it’s good to have a Data Mailbox
- Verified communication – your document is equal to a document signed by you in the real world.
- No standing in lines at the Post office or other authorities.
- No expensive fees for recommended letters.
- No more worrying about office hours, you can use your Data Mailbox anytime you want.
- No more worrying about deadlines. Your document is considered delivered as long as you manage to send it before midnight on the last day.
- You will have a record of the documentation exchanged between you and authorities with dates in case you needed to prove what was said in your letter and when it was sent. But watch out, your documents currently only last for 3 months in the inbox unless you put them in a “data vault”.
Why can’t we just use emails? The answer is simple – the authorities need confirmation that it is really you who is sending them a document or a message. While emails do not require identification authorization, Data Mailboxes do. For Data Mailboxes, your identity can be (or has been) verified by the authorities e.g. back when you arranged your business for the Data Mailbox or when you ask to set up a Data Mailbox at the post office.
Is this mandatory for me?
Data Mailboxes are very useful but they certainly aren’t mandatory for everyone. That being said, there is a large group of people living in Czechia who have to have it set up. And this group will become even larger starting from 1 January 2023.
Make sure you know whether having a Data Mailbox also applies to you!
Up until now, they have been mandatory for:
- Legal entities registered in the Register of Companies
- Legal entities established by law
- Organizational components of a foreign legal entity registered in the commercial register
- Lawyers and tax advisors
- Statutory auditors
- Insolvency administrator
- Expert, court interpretor, and court translator
- Public authorities
Between 1 Janary and 31 March 2023, you will have a Data Mailbox set up automatically if you are:
- Any legal entity who hasn’t got a Data Mailbox yet (i.e. those in federal or foundation register, the register of institutes, the community of unit owners (co-ops) or public benefit societies)
- Self-employed natural entities (those who are „OSVČ“ and have „IČO“, also called „živno“ by our clients)
Are you self-employed?
Like we said, you will have a Data Mailbox set up automatically between 1 January and 31 March 2023. You will be notified about this by a letter delivered to your permanent address where you’ll get all the access information, so keep an eye on your physical mailbox, and please double check it’s properly labelled with your name!
Did you suspend your business/trade temporarily? Doesn’t matter. You will also have a Data Mailbox set up, because Czechia is setting them up for everyone who’s registered in the Trade Register regardless of the status of the business.
Another important information is that all those who will have their Data Mailbox set up at the beginning of 2023 will be obliged to send in their Tax Return electronically. This is connected to whenever you will be given access to your Data Mailbox. (If you don’t get access on time, you can hand in your Tax Return in a paper form).
In general, Data Mailboxes become accessible after you’ve first signed in but on the 15th day after getting your letter with access information latest. If you still want to do your Tax Return on paper, you can do so within two weeks after you receive your access information (but only if you haven’t signed in yet).
Setting up Data Mailbox by yourself
Those of you who are self-employed do not have to do anything until you’ve received your access information. But if you want, you can set up your Data Mailbox by yourself if you don’t want to wait for the state to do it for you.
Interested in learning more about life in the Czech Republic? Sign up for our newsletter and you’ll get a weekly email for expats, important news, and tips on what to do. Also, follow us on our social media at Foreigners Czech Republic.