Calling All International Students: How to Legalize your Diploma and/or Stay in Czechia after Graduation

Are you a foreign student enrolled in one of the international programmes at Czech universities? Even if you’ve only just enrolled and are about to start your studies in the fall, you might want to start thinking about what’s next. And if you’re about to graduate, you definitely need to know what your options are.

Leaving or staying in Czechia after graduation? Make sure you know what to do next.

Leaving or staying in Czechia after graduation? Make sure you know what to do next.


In 2020, there has been a big influx of international students to the Czech Republic. In fact, as reported earlier this year, the total number rose by more than 8%. And because people tend to fall in love with this country, an increasing number of these students opt to remain here after graduation, seek jobs, and start a family.

You might want to return home after you get your degree. You might also want to stay in Czechia. One way or another, there are certain steps you need to take.

Returning home? Legalize your diploma!

Some of you may want to take your Czech university degree back to your country and seek potential jobs there. However, you can’t just pack up and leave without making sure that you can actually use your Czech university diploma at home.

Therefore, it is necessary that you legalize your diploma by getting an apostille or a higher verification for super-legalization (which is required for most non-EU countries). Legalization is a special document with a stamp attached to your original document that certifies its validity.

We at Foreigners can help you with the legalization of your diploma as a part of our immigration services.

This particular service includes:

  • Going to the Ministries for you
  • Acquiring official stamps
  • Making verified copies of your diploma
  • Making verified copies of your diploma supplement

Official translations

Keep in mind that – based on the official language of your country – you may need to get your Czech diploma translated to be able to use it in your home country. Note that if you’re a medical student, you will be given your diploma in Latin – it will, therefore, need to be translated! 

Once your diploma has been legalized, we can get it translated into any language you desire and then send it abroad to you

Are you a medical student?

If you studied or study medicine in Czechia and are planning on working as a doctor in your home country, you might also need a Certificate of performing medical care abroad (issued by the Ministry of Health – also known as the certificate following EU directive 2005/36/ES). This certificate will ensure that you can practice medicine outside of Czechia without any problems.

You may also need to obtain a Certificate of non-membership in the Czech Medical/Dental Chamber. This certificate is also known as the Certificate of Good Stating

Again – we can help you acquire, legalize (or super-legalize), and translate all of these documents so that you have everything you need in your home country.


Staying in Czechia? It’s possible!

Of course, many international students decide to stay in Czechia after they finish their studies. You could choose to stay here for various reasons – you like Czechia, you found a good job here or you fell in love and want to live here with your partner.

The perks of being an EU citizen

Staying in Czechia is the easiest if you’re an EU citizen. You can stay here freely without applying for any kind of residence permits. You can also enjoy free access to the job market

Still, we recommend that you apply for a residence permit anyway. The permit will grant you many additional perks and will ensure you stay safe and secure during your life here. For example, those who had a certificate of temporary residence or permanent residence permit at the beginning of the coronavirus pandemic were able to return to Czechia even after the borders closed down. Those who didn’t have such a permit were stuck at the border for a while, unable to return.

Obtaining the certificate of temporary residence now will also help you later on when you apply for a permanent residence permit. Why? Because the Ministry can use it as the most easily accessible confirmation of your stay. Getting either of these residence permits will also grant you a birth number, which is a special kind of number (similar to the American social security number) that you can use to apply for loans in banks, to register your car, etc. 


Get our Survival guide for expats

Fill in your email address and get a series of useful tips during upcoming month.


How to apply for a residence permit as an EU citizen

For EU citizens, the application process for the certificate of temporary residence is fairly smooth. You only need your ID, photo, proof of health insurance, and proof of accommodation. The proof of accommodation does not need to be certified in your case.

As mentioned, you can also apply for a permanent residence permit. You can apply for this permit under the condition of having been here continually for 5 years (or longer). Is one of your parents a Czech citizen or an EU citizen with permanent residence in the Czech Republic? Great, because now you can apply for a permanent residence permit after only 2 years!

Options for non-EU students

Are you a third-country (non-EU) citizen studying in the Czech Republic? You may not know this, but you’re allowed to work while you study under the condition of studying a daily accredited university programme here in Czechia. If you fit these conditions, you have free access to the job market. Once you’ve got a job, you can also apply for an employee card.

After graduation, you also have some options. If you want to start looking for a job, the best thing to do is to apply for a long-term residence permit for the purposes of seeking employment. Want to start a business instead of looking for a job? Great – apply for a long-term residence permit for the purposes of starting a business. The advantage of these permits is that having one will give you 9 months to either find a job or start a business.

You need to apply for these permits as soon as possible. Ideally as soon as you’ve passed your final state exams or defended your thesis and your student status has officially been terminated. At the same time, you need to do it before your current valid residence expires, so keep your eyes on the calendar.

After you’ve found a job or started your business, you can move onto applying for permits with longer validity – specifically an employee card or a long-term residence permit for the purposes of business.

Another benefit of having acquired these short-term permits (for the purposes of seeking employment/starting a business) is that you won’t need to adhere to the condition of prior five-year residence in Czechia to get the long-term residence permit.

!Keep in mind!

  • As a third-country citizen, you always need to have a residence permit if you want to look for a job here


Obtaining a partnership visa is another way you can stay in Czechia after graduation.

Obtaining a partnership visa is another way you can stay in Czechia after graduation.


The partnership visa option

Many international students happen to fall in love while studying in Czechia. As such, it’s good to know that they also have the option of staying here on a partnership visa.

People often don’t know that you don’t need to be married to tie yourself to your partner while staying in Czechia. But all you need to do is to prove the strength of your partnership to the Ministry of the Interior. Another perk of this visa is that it can also work for same-sex couples (as opposed to an actual marriage, which is not yet legal here).

What else do you need to get a partnership visa?

  • Write a “CV” – a short essay about your relationship (how you met, how it’s developed, where you’ve been together, etc.)
  • Obtain letters of support from your friends and family
  • Provide photos of the two of you (sometimes)

There will also be two visits by the Foreign Police who will come to your house to check out your living situation. Therefore, you should make sure that your mailbox and your doorbell are clearly labeled with both your names.

This permit will be valid for 5 years (if you’re a third-country citizen) and will grant you many perks, including free access to the job market and a birth number.


Legalize your diploma anyway

Note that even if you do decide to stay in Czechia, you should legalize (or super-legalize) your diploma anyway. You never know when you might want to return to your country. Having your diploma and any additional certificates legalized will make everything smoother for you wherever you decide to move.


Needing assistance?

Do you feel lost in all of these options and want to fully focus on finishing your studies? We can help you obtain a residence permit and give you advice on which permit would be best fitted to your situation

Are you interested in legalizing your diploma or applying for a residence permit? Get in touch with us and we will take care of everything!


Article source:, the Ministry of the Interior website
Photo source:,

Tereza Walsbergerová

Hello! I'm Tereza and I'm a wordsmith and literature nerd from Brno. Although I was born and raised in the Czech Republic, I know all too well from my time living in Texas what it's like to be a "stranger in a strange land." I am excited to share all kinds of information with y'all!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *