Changes in the Law from August 2021: Health Insurance, Permits for EU Citizens, and Administration Fees

The Czech government amended the law about foreigners living in Czechia, valid from 2 August 2021. These changes include for example the obligation to purchase comprehensive health insurance solely from the insurance company PVZP for the first five years of their stay, the renaming of a residence permit document for EU citizens, administration fees of 200 CZK for residence permits and their extensions, and new identification documents for third-country citizens containing biometric data.


Changes in law 2021

Important new changes will be valid from 2 August.


Health Insurance

From 2 August, every foreigner intending to stay in Czechia for longer than 90 days must purchase comprehensive health insurance within 90 days after his/her arrival. For the first 5 years, you can only purchase this insurance from PVZP (version Plus or Exclusive).

Who does NOT need to purchase this insurance:

  • those covered by public health insurance 
  • those who have their healthcare covered by an international contract 
  • holders of the EHIC or GHIC card

Another change in foreigners’ health insurance in Czechia concerns children born in the Czech Republic to a mother with a long-term residence permit (e.g. employee card). Such a child is covered by public health insurance for a limited time only – until the end of the month in which the child reaches 60 days of their life. After this limit, parents must purchase comprehensive health insurance for the baby.


Residence permits for EU citizens to be renamed

The government has also changed the name of the residence permit for EU citizens. What was formerly known as a certificate of temporary residence will now be known as “osvědčení o registraci” (literally “a registration certificate” – we do not yet have an official English translation). The card will be equipped with biometric data and will look similar to the certificate of temporary residence you’re used to. 

Those who have a valid certificate of temporary residence may keep using it until its expiration date and do not need to exchanged it before this date.


Get our Survival guide for expats

Fill in your email address and get a series of useful tips during upcoming month.


Immediate and extended family of an EU citizen

The law amendment now also differentiates between the immediate and extended family of an EU citizen

Immediate family members are understood to be the:

  • spouses (husband/wife)
  • parents (if an EU citizen below 21 is being cared for by them)
  • children below 21 or children of a spouse of an EU citizen below 21
  • children or ancestors of a spouse (husband/wife) of an EU citizen (if the person is dependent on an EU citizen)
  • foreigners who are tied in one of these ways to a Czech citizen

Extended family members are understood to be:

  • relatives of an EU citizen or a Czech citizen with permanent residency in Czechia who are:
    • recognised in their mother country as people being dependent on them
    • from the same household as them
    • suffering from serious health issues that require them to dependent on them
  • in a lasting romantic partnership with them (needs to be proven)

Good to know about extended family members

From 2 August 2021, extended family members are obligated to attach a confirmation of a monthly income of the family after reunification as well as a confirmation about having comprehensive health insurance for the entire stay.


Administration fees of 200 CZK

There have also been some changes concerning administration fees foreigners in Czechia must pay to the state when applying for various residence permits and extensions. Newly, you will need to pay this fee of 200 CZK for your:

  • application for a residence permit for EU citizens (now known as a registration certificate)
  • application for a temporary residence permit for a family member of an EU citizen
  • application for an extension of a residence permit for a family member of an EU citizen 
  • application for a permanent residence permit for EU citizen and a family member of an EU citizen

You can only pay these fees through a revenue stamp. The Ministry of the Interior WILL NOT be accepting cash or card payments


New identification documents

From 2 August, all third-country citizens will be issued new identification documents containing biometric data. This includes family members of EU citizens

Family members of EU citizens who are not EU citizens themselves are obligated to switch to these new documents by 3 August 2023. Exchanging these documents is free of charge.

If this family member is an extended family member, it is recommended he or she exchanges this document earlier – by 31 August 2022.


Information for British citizens

Citizens of the United Kingdom who have in the past been issued a certificate of temporary residence or permanent residence permit also need to exchange their documents for the new biometric documents by 31 August 2022. 

Their family members who hold temporary or permanent residence permits in Czechia in the past have to do the same. They should also exchange their documentation by 31 August 2022.

British citizens who can prove that they legally resided in Czechia before 31 December 2020 can continue applying for registration certificates (formerly known as certificates of temporary residence) as they are still to be taken as EU citizens in this context. 

However, their registration certificate biometric document will be valid for 5 years. 


Are you confused about all these changes? Would you like to apply for a residence permit in Czechia but aren’t sure how to go about it? Get in touch with us and we will take care of things for you. In the meantime, keep an eye on our blog and Twitter for updates concerning new immigration laws. 

Article source: Ministry of Health Czech Republic
Photo source: ds_30,

Tereza Walsbergerová

Hello! I'm Tereza and I'm a wordsmith and literature nerd from Brno. Although I was born and raised in the Czech Republic, I know all too well from my time living in Texas what it's like to be a "stranger in a strange land." I am excited to share all kinds of information with y'all!

20 thoughts on “Changes in the Law from August 2021: Health Insurance, Permits for EU Citizens, and Administration Fees

    1. Hi Tony!
      Which application are you talking about? Are you one of our clients? If yes, ask your immigration consultant to check up on the application for you. You can email us at If not, my advice is to call the authority, to which you submitted your application.


  1. I am a British citizen, and have a permanent residence permit issued in 2017. My wife is Irish, and also has a permanent residence permit. Obviously, I will need to switch to the new biometric model, but will my wife have to also do so? Despite being an EU citizen, she has the green permit, not the red one like mine. All a bit confusing!

    1. Hi Mark!
      I asked our immigration team and they’re saying that if your wife is an EU citizen, she doesn’t need to exchange anything at the moment.

      Have a nice day!

    1. Hi Dwight!
      I’m glad you found the answer! 🙂 This change is only related to those expats who aren’t covered by the public health insurance.


  2. Hi Tereza,

    I’m a citizen of a third country with a permanent residence and a Czech partner. If I understood correctly, I need to exchange the permanent residence booklet for a new biometric card, right? If that’s the case, how do I go about switching to the new card? Do you have a link to the MOI website that explains the process of making the application to move to the new biometric card?

    Thanks for your response.

    1. Hi Lukman,
      I believe you have to make an appointment with your local Department for Asylum and Migration Policy to arrange the exchange.
      Unfortunuately, the MOI hasn’t fully updated their website yet, so the new changes aren’t reflected there yet and I can’t send you any links. It will be easier for you to just call your local office and tell them what you need :).


    1. Hi,
      If you’re experiencing immigration trouble, you can contact our specialists at They will look into your case for you.


  3. Hi,
    I am confused. In a previous information bulletin it stated that the changes did not apply to immediate family members. But in this bulletin it seems the proof of income changes does not apply to immediate family members but the full payment for (up to 5 years) private health insurance does.
    If we are married (one Czech one Britsh) and the Britsh natonal is about to apply for Czech temporary residency does he now need to have the full 5 years private health insurance upfront as part of the application rather than just proof of yearly insurance ?


    1. Hi Chris,
      I think you misunderstood the blogpost (probably my fault, I’m sorry). According to the new law all foreigners who are not covered under public health insurance have to buy their comprehensive insurance from the PVZP for the first 5 years of their life here. You don’t need to pay anything upfront.

      I’m sorry about the confusion! 🙂


  4. Hi. Dear
    I’m a citizen of a third country with a permanent residence and a Czech wife. If I understood correctly, I need to exchange the permanent residence booklet for a new biometric card,
    Before expiration date? My document will be expired 17/10/24.
    My question is possible to exchange if now or to wait until expire?

    1. Hi Cherif!
      Yes, if you don’t have a document with biometric data yet, you’ll need to exchange your booklet by 31 August 2022. You should be able to do it now – just check with your local MOI office and arrange your appointment and make sure they are equipped to collect biometric data. You can find a list of offices with this service here:


  5. As an exchange student from a third-country, am I supposed to buy this comprehensive insurance? This is almost half of the erasmus grant, especially if you are over 26 you are not considered student. That is crayz!

    1. Hi Furkan,
      Unfortunately, yes, you’ll have to get this insurance, as far as I know.


  6. Hello Tereza,

    I have a long term residence permit in CZ, I am OSVC and with VZP.
    Do you know if I have to switch to PVZP ?

    And if not, do I have the possibility to apply for a regular/concurrent insurance ?

    Thanks a lot for your help,


    1. Hi Julie,
      If you have VZP, that means you have public insurance, right? PVZP and VZP are held by the same company – PVZP is the subsidiary that provides comprehensive health insurance for foreigners while VZP provides public health insurance.

      Here’s the list of foreigners living in Czechia who can get public insurance:
      -foreigners with permanent residence in Czechia;
      -employees of employers based in the territory of the Czech Republic;
      -self-employed people from other EU countries;
      -employees from other EU states working in the Czech territory for employers that are based in other EU country;
      -non-active family members of migrant workers from other EU states insured in the Czech Republic

      If you’re a self-employed third-country citizen, it doesn’t seem like you’re covered by public health insurance unless you get permanent residency. Which country are you from?


  7. Hi Tereza
    Im a Uk Citizen and have a biometric card for CZ.
    If i want to travel to Berlin for a short holiday, do i need to inform an institution in Berlin or can I travel without any restrictions

    1. Hi Ravi,
      the fact that you have a Czech biometric card has nothing to do with travelling around Europe. When you go to Germany, you’re a British citizen going to Germany, so the same rules apply to you just as if you were visiting it from the UK.

      As a British citizen, you do not need a visa for the Schengen Member States, if the duration of your stay does not exceed 90 days within any 180-day period.

      And no, I don’t think you need to inform anybody. Just have your passport on your person.

      Hope this helps.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *