Summer 2019: New Legal Changes for Every Expat in the Czech Republic

From July 31, 2019, there are specific changes in the Act on the Residence of the Foreign Nationals in the Czech Republic. They significantly concern every expat and foreign student staying in the country.

  • Administrative fees

This applies to every expat who wants to prolong their current visa or apply for another one. When going to the Ministry of Interior, you are obliged to bring along the full amount of administrative fees in accordance with your type of visa. Fees are also collected for reporting any changes in your application and loss of your biometric card. For the record, your current address in the Czech Republic will no longer be written on the biometric card – it’s also a new modification in the law. 

Administrative fees are collected in the form of stamps, which can be bought by cash at the post office.

  • Employee cards

New: an expat is obliged to report change of an employer, a job title and employment in overall. There’s no need to ask for permission, as it was before. The following changes should be filled in in the appropriate form, the link for the forms is here. If you’re planning on changing an employer, you have to keep in my mind that your previous employee card should be valid for at least 6 months (with several exceptions).

  • A long-term resident permit for the purpose of studies

Studies at secondary schools, some colleges, higher vocational schools, and conservatories that are not a part of exchange programs will no longer be considered as studies for the purpose of obtaining a long-stay visa or long-term residence permit. More detailed information about changes in the visa for students are presented in this article.

  • A long-term residence permit for the purpose of scientific research

An expat who has been granted a residence permit as a researcher by another EU Member State (except the UK, Ireland, Denmark) and who stays in the Czech Republic for the purpose of research carried out by one of the research organizations registered in the list of research organizations pursuant to a special regulation, is allowed to stay in the Czech Republic for up to 1 year without a visa. More details are available at the following link.

  • A long-term resident permit for the purpose of employment search or commencement of a business

A long-term residence permit for the purpose of employment search or commencement of a business is intended for students staying in the Czech Republic on the basis of a long-term residence permit for the purpose of studies or scientific research and for those who already finished their studies or scientific research respectively. To find out more information, read the other article.

  • Confirmation of temporary stay of EU citizens

Confirmation of temporary stay of EU citizens will be issued for a period of 10 years. A confirmation which had been issued before 1.1.2010 will expire on 31.12.2019. A confirmation which had been issued after 1.1.2010 will expire 10 years after the issue of this certificate.

  • A permanent residence permit

An expat who is a family member of an EU citizen and who has been granted subsidiary protection or asylum in the territory is also entitled to apply for a permanent residence permit. However, an expat should give up the subsidiary protection or asylum before receiving a residence permit.

Feeling confused and overwhelmed with information? Don’t hesitate to contact us in case you have some questions not only about new changes in the Czech law!

Karyna Babkova

Karyna Babkova

Hello, dear readers! I am a Ukrainian student, currently studying for a Master's degree in Masaryk University and I am deeply honoured to have a chance to share with you some important and interesting information about living in Brno. Hopefully, you will find my articles useful and entertaining xx

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *