Temporary vs. Permanent Residence in the Czech Republic

What is the difference between temporary residence and permanent residence – is one of the most asked questions we get from our clients. Do you have to obtain health insurance? Can you buy a property or take a mortgage? In this article, we have arranged all the information regarding this topic, so you can have a clear view of it. So, let’s sort it out together!


Temporary residence

According to Czech law, a foreign national may reside in the Czech Republic without a visa, if they are citizens of the EU. This means that they can stay in the country without any special permission only on the basis of a travel document or an identity card. In this case, the only requirement for EU nationals who want to reside in the Czech Republic for more than 3 months is to notify the Foreign police of the place of residence. This procedure has to be done within 30 days from the date of entry to the Czech Republic.

An EU citizen can apply for residence permits, which is useful for practical reasons where there is need to provide an official confirmation of residence in the Czech Republic, for example, for the purpose of social benefits, or in employment. It is possible to get a residence permit for a specific purpose (employment, entrepreneurship, scientific research, family unification, or studies), or without stating any purpose. In case the EU national applies for this document for a special purpose, they have to provide it with a document confirming the purpose of their stay.


With a residence permit you:

  • have a free entry to the labour market (no need of an Employee Card or a Blue card)
  • can travel in the Schengen Area for non-profit nature only with your travel document or identity card
  • don’t have to own health insurance
  • can register your car to obtain a Czech registration number
  • can apply for a loan or mortgage at the bank
  • conclude a contract with some of the mobile operators or Internet providers
  • obtain driving licence


Permanent residence

After 5 years of continuous residence in the Czech Republic, every third-country national can apply for a Permanent Residence Card. However, the term is different for a person who is a family member of an EU citizen or had a long-term visa with a study purpose.  By obtaining permanent residence, an individual gets mostly the same rights and responsibilities as a citizen of the Czech Republic, but there are some exceptions. For instance, they don’t have the right to vote or work in the Czech Armed Forces.


With permanent residence you:

  • can apply for a loan or mortgage at the bank
  • have a free entry to the labour market
  • start your own business
  • receive social support in hard-life situations and pension upon reaching the retirement age from the Czech government


However, as soon as you get permanent residence, you become insured in the Czech health insurance system and are responsible for the payment of insurance premiums. This health insurance must be reimbursed regardless of whether you have a valid contract with health insurance or not. For the employees, the payment of the premiums becomes the responsibility of their employer.


We would like to mention that in terms of Brexit, the UK nationals can also apply for permanent residence. You can find more information regarding Brexit and the recommendations from the MOI in this article.


Do you still have any questions regarding visa and permits? Don’t hesitate to contact us and use our consultation service.

Yelyzaveta Romanova

Yelyzaveta Romanova

Dear readers, my name is Lisa. As a foreign student, I would like to share with you some useful information about living abroad, give some tips on how to enjoy your stay in a foreign country and feel like at home. Enjoy your reading!

2 thoughts on “Temporary vs. Permanent Residence in the Czech Republic

  1. Hello Yelyzaveta,

    Very nice article, I would like to ask you a question.

    As a third country national, after you got the Permanent residence (after 5 years) , if you want to live in another EU country like move to Germany to work , you can do it or you will lost your PR ? Also, since you have PR in Czech Republic, it helps you to get the PR in another EU country or even let you live there ?

    Thank you very much.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *