My Current Address in the Czech Republic: Can I Use It As a Permanent Address?

Have you ever been wondering whether you as an expat can put your current Czech address in different types of documents as a permanent address? Are you actually entitled to do that? In this article you’ll find out all your rights and duties regarding this topic.

From time to time an expat encounters a series of documents which require from him to put there a permanent address. It could be any questionnaire, form to fill in, agreement or simply a subscription to a magazine or online store. Perhaps you have asked yourself whether you can put your current Czech address even if you don’t have a permanent residence in the Czech Republic. The answer is YES, though it depends on which type of accommodation agreement you have with your landlord.

There are two accommodation agreements which are concluded between a lessee and a landlord: lease agreement or sublease agreement. What is the difference between these two? Let’s sort it out!

Lease agreement is a type of agreement which is concluded directly between a landlord and a lessee. In this case a lessee is entitled to mention current Czech address as a permanent address whenever the situation calls for it and they’ll always be right. Why? The answer is quite simple: Czech law. If a landlord isn’t satisfied with that and even if the thing goes to court, a lessee would always win according to Czech law.

Second type of lease agreement is sublease agreement and is concluded between a lessee and sublessee. It works this way: a lessee entered into a lease agreement with a landlord and decided to rent out a flat to a sublessee. In this case, in order to be able to mention a local Czech address as a permanent address, a sublessee has got two options:

  1. Ask a landlord for a proof of accommodation. Our relocation consultants strongly recommend this variant, because it’s always best to communicate with a landlord directly.
  2. Ask a lessee to provide their lease agreement, which confirms that he or she actually rents this place. Why this option might not be the best thing to do is because you have to deal with it through a third person – a lessee.

Don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any questions!

Photo source: Pexels

Karyna Babkova

Karyna Babkova

Hello, dear readers! I am a Ukrainian student, currently studying for a Master's degree in Masaryk University and I am deeply honoured to have a chance to share with you some important and interesting information about living in Brno. Hopefully, you will find my articles useful and entertaining xx

6 thoughts on “My Current Address in the Czech Republic: Can I Use It As a Permanent Address?

  1. Would you be able to add more detail on to what czech law states on this. As it could be very helpful to alot of us here.

    1. Hi Scott,

      We’ll do a little research on this topic and add details later. Thank you for your comment!

  2. I have a question. I wanted to rent but the landlord said she will not let me use her address if I apply for permanent residency. I wasn’t sure what the difference was as I have to report my address now anyway with my work Visa.

  3. HI, I own a property in CZ that only has an Evidence address and I use a PO box as mailing address. Until now we have been allowed to use a friends address for stuff like Electric supplies / billing. However, my friend has asked me to remove my name from the address. Also, I am applying for “Permanent Residence” in January. I was told that I may be able to use the City office as a permanent address but have just been told I may be able to use my Evidence address as my permanent address according to CZ law.
    Are you able to advise me please

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *