Are you facing issues regarding your personal documents (for instance, a lost passport) and you’ve been told that to get a new one you have to go to your embassy (or consulate)? Keep reading and you will find the list of the main ones available in the Czech Republic!
Firstly, a difference must be explained between an embassy and consulate. An embassy is always located in the capital and there can be only one for every foreign country. They deal with political and diplomatic issues.
Consulates instead are in charge of fostering trade and maintaining commercial links. There can be more than one in each foreign country and usually you can find them in major cities.
Now, that explained, they both handle issues relating to visas, passports and give support to tourists and expatriates. So, as a rule of thumb valid especially for bigger foreign nations, keep in mind that you can find an office to refer to not only in Prague but often also in Brno.
Given that, remember that is not always necessary for you to travel to Prague, instead search if in your city there is a consulate!
You may be wondering: how many embassies and consulates can be found in the Czech Republic? Let’s make a summary for each continent.
- Europe: the only nations that don’t have either an embassy or a consulate are Montenegro and Liechtenstein.
- North and Central America: we have to exclude Antigua, Barbados, Belize, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Jamaica, Grenada, Haiti, Honduras and Panama.
- South America: Bolivia, Colombia, Suriname and Venezuela have their embassies in the country.
- Asia and the Middle East: Bahrein, Bangladesh, Cambodia, Jordan, Maldives, Myanmar, Oman, Qatar, Sri Lanka, Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan are represented in the Czech Republic.
- Africa: among its 54 nations, the ones with an Embassy or a consulate are: Algeria, Angola, Egypt, Ethiopia, Libya, Morocco, Niger, South Africa, Sudan and Tunisia.
- Oceania: both Australia and New Zealand are present in the Czech Republic.
So, we can say that the Czech Republic doesn’t lack the foreign diplomatic relationships, and here you can find a list of all the embassies and consulates available in the country.
The 10 largest foreign communities in the Czech Republic are: Ukraine, Slovakia, Russia, Vietnam, Romania, Poland, Bulgaria, United States, China and the UK. If you belong to one of them, here’s a short list regarding where to find embassies and consulates of each mentioned countries, plus websites links and email to contact them:
- Embassy: Truhlářská 13 – 15, 110 00 Prague 1. Phone: +420 257 099 500 email: email@example.com
- Consulate: in Hotel Prometheus Hudcova 367/78, 612 00 Brno. Phone: +420 775 412 957. email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- United States:
- Embassy: Tržiště 15, 118 01 Prague 1. Phone: +420 257 022 000, the U.S. embassy doesn’t use emails, but an appointment system
When you find out your embassy or consulate always remember that we can give an extra hand regarding all the bureaucratic issues and help with any language barrier you might face!
Photo source: pixabay