Minor Repairs in a Rented Apartment: Who Does Pay for Them?

Imagine you are living in a rented apartment. All of a sudden your boiler stops working and your landlord tells you it has to be replaced. After a while, you will receive an invoice for the repair. Should you pay for it or not? Is this your responsibility? Keep reading if you want to understand the rules of minor repairs in an apartment you rent in the Czech Republic!


Minor repairs – what does it even mean?

Being new to a foreign city is hard enough as it is. You want to have a nice place to live and enjoy all the aspects of an unexplored city. But there are just so many rules and contracts around…

Renting an apartment can be tricky sometimes and appliances break all the time – that’s a fact. Therefore, knowing how all of this works in the Czech Republic is a must. According to the Czech law, there are certain rules about small repairs in a rented place. You can read the law here.


Question: Is the repair you are concerned about stated in the following list?

a) repairs of the upper floor parts, floor coverings and sill and slats replacements
b) repairs of individual parts of the windows and doors and their components and the replacements of locks, ironwork, door knobs, roller blinds and blinds
c) replacements of switches, sockets, circuit breakers, door bells, lighting and home phones, including electric lock systems, both analog and digital broadcast signal and light bulbs
d) replacements of shut-off vents of gas except of the main vent
e) repairs of the water distribution closing faucets, replacements of siphons and fat traps
f) repairs of the heat and hot water meters, replacement and certification of secondary hot and cold water meters
g) repairs of water spouts, smoke closures, vapor extractors, hoods, mixers, showers, water heaters, bidets, sinks, vanes, flushing, kitchen stoves, cookers, infrared heaters, kitchens, built-in cabinet,
h) repair of stoves for solid fuels, gas and electricity, smoke flue, floor heating boilers for electricity, liquid and gaseous fuels, flue gas and shut-off and control valves and control thermostat of floor heating; but they are not considered to be repairs of radiators and central heating systems,
(i) exchanges of small parts of the items referred to in points (g) and (h).

If your answer is YES then you are obliged to pay for the repair if it’s not more than a year limit a year limit is 100 CZK/m2 – e.g. if your flat is 50m2, the year limit is 5 000 CZK.

Your boiler stopped working. The repair costs 4 800 CZK and your apartment is 60m2. A boiler is stated at the list and the year limit for your apartment is 6 000 CZK. If there were no other repairs that year, or they were less than 1 200 CZK, then you have to pay for the repair.

If your answer is NO then it’s not “minor repair“ which means your landlord is responsible for the repair payment, but just in case the repair is more expensive than 1 000 CZK.

A fridge (which is a part of the apartment since you moved in) is broken and the repair costs 1 200 CZK. In this case, it’s not a minor repair and the amount is higher than 1 000 CZK, so your landlord has to pay for the repair. The same happens if your fridge needs 2 repairs to solve the problem – the first one costs 500 CZK, the second one costs 700 CZK. Even though each of the repairs is less than 1 000 CZK, the total amount is what matters = in this case, it is 1 200 CZK.

Is it still a little bit confusing? In case you find yourself in this situation, don’t hesitate to contact us and use our consultation service. For further information about the general civil law see mainly the Czech Civil Code.


Author: Nicole, Pilsen (Facebook Foreigners Pilsen)


Hana Lahodová

Hi Everyone! My name is Hana and I am a Czech citizen, who is currently studying in Denmark. I was lucky enough to get a position of a PR Intern here at Foreigners and that means I have the great opportunity to share some of my work with you guys.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *