- Common way of socializing is to go to a local pub (hospoda) after a day at work to have one beer (na jedno). Needless to say it never ends with just one.
- If you’re old or pregnant (or both) your chances of getting a seat in a public transport are incredibly high. It’s considered good manners to let old people or pregnant women sit down.
- Czech people apologize all the time 🙂 At least it looks like “excuse me” or “pardon me” (s dovolením / pardon) are the most frequently used phrases. You’ll hear it the most in public transport, especially Prague metro. For example, when people try to get on/off the train or when you’re blocking the left side of the moving stairs.
- Czechs are a little obsessed with doing sports. So in a random conversation you’ll definitely hear how someone went cycling (in summer) or skiing (in winter).
- Ice hockey topic is always appreciated, not only during Ice Hockey Championship. You’d better know the names of the main players, or at least Jaromir Jagr. It also might come in handy to be aware, that two main football teams are Slavia and Sparta.
How Czechs really are?
- Czechs seem rather reserved when introduced to a new person. Usually, they do not trust people they do not know.
- Their behavior may appear formal – the reason may be the use of the second-person in Czech language, the ‘polite’ form. It is used with people whom you do not know, in a formal social interaction, or when younger generation is addressing the older one. Another reason for the distrustful behavior comes from the communist era, when many people were forced to betray even their closest family members or friends.
- Czech sense of humor or a general life attitude may be perceived as ironic or sarcastic. The same reason goes for maintaining their personal privacy and being intimate with people they know.
- Czech people are naturally very polite and do not tend to be overly direct in communication.
- They generally avoid confrontation – informal straightforwardness in dealing is common.
- After getting to know Czechs better you become to love their cheerful and helpful character and you can experience what a warm and firm friendship is about.
- They are very hospitable and enjoy to be a nation of realistic and very practical people.